Slider

Ecrins, France New York, United States Italy, Sardenia Copenhagen, Denmark Kruger National Park, South Africa

Sunday, February 9, 2014

United States : In the middle of nowhere... Yuma

Everytime I said to someone I was going to Yuma they all told me: "What, Yuma? There is nothing there". Well I don't really agree. I've seen really nice National Parks and Reserves as well as sunrises and sunsets and beautiful night with clear skies. I had never seen so many stars in the sky.


One of the first site I could visit was the Imperial Sand Dunes (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/ohvs/isdra.html). It's really impressive to drive in the dessert and all of the sudden you just see sand everywhere. It's just like the sea is right behind the dunes.



Since I arrived I had seen two mountains north of Yuma. I had told myself I had to find where it was. After a quick search on the internet I finially found it was on the way to Picacho State Recreation Area (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=641). You need a 4X4 to get there as it is a dirt road but it's really worth it. You just drive around mountainous landscapes. I've choosen that spot for my first stars shooting and despite some light pollution the spot turned up really good.




The next day, I drove to the second mountain we see from Yuma, Castel Dome. At the foot of the mountain you can visit an old mine town (http://www.castledomemuseum.com/). This interesting museum put you back in the years 1800 and gives you a taste of what the life would be in a miner village.




As days were flying by I always said I wanted to see a sunrise and I tried to find the best spot for this time of the year. After a small search on the internet I came up with the idea of going to the Telegraph Pass right outside of the city near the town of Fortuna Foothills.We had to park along highway I-8 and walk by foot to the summit. The hike was quite steap but it was worth it. I could just admire the sunrise sitting on a bench. I was also surprised to run into so many people when going back down.



This was already the end of my trip. I must say that I never got bored and if you like outdoor activities Yuma is certainly a place to be. Especially during winter where you get about 70°F everyday with a clear blue sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment